"gradually I've come to realise that my house is haunted by the ghost of a dead astronaut"

Thursday, 13 May 2010

47. "Did You See Them? The Dead Spacemen? Did You?"


(This is a third scene from the screenplay of the movie version of ‘Nicole Kidman stars in: The Astronaut Dropped’, starring Nicole Kidman (as her delectable self) and Julianne Moore (a Kidman lookey-likey who opens supermarkets here and there and occasionally strips off at staggies) as the remarkable, indefatigable Stephanie Fey. This scene is dedicated to Mr Indigo Wrath at, uh, well, IndigoWrath. Why? Because he keeps bugging me to get off my lazy ass and keep writing! Grr!)

THREE. EXTERIOR - OUTSIDE MORDAN HOUSE. NIGHT.

It's cold and there's the lightest peppering of snow descending from the night sky above Mordan House. Stephanie Fey stands at the edge of the wood that surrounds the house. She is holding an open bottle of wine in her hand. She is unaware of this - it has been in her hand since she left Mordan House earlier that evening. Two bright headlights from a car situated on the gravel at the front of the house are trained on Stephanie. As she catches her breath from running through the wood, she also squints into the lights, trying to see Mrs Ormsley, the driver of the car, who is completely in shadow, standing at her car door.
     Steph
What are you doing here?
     Mrs Ormsley
     (Only her voice heard)
What are you doing there?
     Steph
     (Looks confused)
What? Me? Hold on, I live here - I can be wherever I damn well like!
     Mrs Ormsley
And you choose to be running out of the woods?
     Steph
Yes, as it so happens! Today I decided to be in the woods!
     Mrs Ormsley
And are the woods where you keep your wine cellar?
     Steph
My -?
Steph slowly raises her arm and looks incredulously at the bottle of wine still in her hand.
     Steph
     (Looks confused and mutters to herself)
Running, falling, leaping about - and the damn bottle's still in my hand?
     (She slowly drops the bottle to the ground as if it's not there)
Did you see them? The dead spacemen? Did you?
There is no reply from Mrs Ormsley.
     Steph
Goddamn it, will you come out from behind the headlights? I can't see you!
Mrs Ormsley steps forward into the light. She is wearing a long, dark coat and a woolen hat.
     Steph
Did you? Did you see them?
     Mrs Ormsley
No doubt if I'd consumed as much wine as you, then yes, I'd be seeing dead spacemen.
     Steph
No, dammit, for real! Did you see them for real? In the woods. Glowing. Flying, for Christ's sake! Did you?
     Mrs Ormsley
Not since the Seventies, dear. Look, maybe we should continue this conversation another time.
     Steph
What conversation? I wasn't aware we'd started one yet. Why are you here anyway? At this time of night. That's the conversation I want to have.
     Mrs Ormsley
     (Glances at her watch)
It's 10.30. I'm sorry if it's too late. I just closed the library at 10.
     Steph
10.30? Oh. I thought it was later.
     Mrs Ormsley
I'm sorry I cut our conversation short the other day at the library. When I got back you were gone and I've been looking out for you ever since. I wondered if there was anything else that you wanted to ask about the history of the house, that was all.
     Steph
     (Rubs her forehead)
I can't think. I have too many questions. I don't know where to start. All I can think about is the dead spacement, you see. That's what I've got in my head. You know, it all seemed so real a moment ago. And now I'm not so sure.
     Mrs Ormsley
You should go to bed. I'm sorry I disturbed you. Come back into the library or come over to the house. We can talk some more then.
     Steph
I'm suspicious when you're nice. Why are you being nice? I much prefer you bitchy. Kidman prefers you bitchy too.
Mrs Ormsley walks back into shadow and begins to get back into her car.
     Steph
Wait! Will you wait until I'm back in the house before you drive away? Please?
     Mrs Ormsley
Uh. Yes, of course. On you go.
Steph walks back to the front door of Mordan House. Mrs Ormsley climbs into the car, starts the engine and rolls the window down.
     Mrs Ormsley
Stop by the library again sometime soon. How does that sound?
     Steph
Are you sure you didn't see the dead spacemen?
     Mrs Ormsley
     (Beginning to close the window)
I'm sure. Well, not tonight anyway.
Steph's expression changes and she stares at her, not sure if Mrs Ormsley's humouring her or not.
     Mrs Ormsley
I've only ever seen them in town. Never out here.
Mrs Ormsley drives away. Steph remains standing at the front door and continues to stare after her.
     Steph
     (Mutters)
Did she say what I thought she just said? Did she really? Kidman! Kidman? Where the hell are you, Kidman?
We see Steph from a distance, standing at the door and calling into the darkness.
     Steph
Kidman? Kidman!
END SCENE

Next instalment: 48. Brimming with Girly Glee

11 comments:

IndigoWrath said...

Hey Steph! Wowsers, am I famous now?! I'm delighted that I can bug you enough to make you write more, and flattered as hell to get a dedication! Thank you, it's lovely to have you back. And don't hesitate to keep writing; some secrets should see the light of day. Indigo x

Stephanie Fey said...

Well, I'm off to the States for a few days soon, but I plan to complete Kidman's Gift before I go. Will visit your blog again soon and do some catching up - I've only found the time for a few glances here and there, but it's looking colourful and imaginative and original as ever!

Steph x

Charmaine Clancy said...

Can't way for the movie.

Fun :-)

Charmaine Clancy said...

sorry, can't *wait* for the movie.

Stephanie Fey said...

How about we compromise and just weigh the movie when it comes out, Charmaine?

Oh, just love that name of yours, Charmaine. Beautiful. Way good, in fact!

Steph ;)

Eva said...

I can see what's happening in this. I would love to see the story come to life on the big screen. Wonderful post, I feel things spiraling into darkness.

IndigoWrath said...

Hey Steph! Thanks, and yes - the blog has been as varied as ever. I recently did a video entry, a pure dialog outing, a straight piece in late April called STRIPPED OF RED AND YELLOW that I think you'll like, and some daft fun with a squid/squirrel hybrid in a park. But all daftness finds some structure somehow. Have fun in the States, see you soon! Indigo x

Avalon said...

Good luck!

logankstewart said...

I liked it, Steph. Great stuff, as always.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

You have wit, style, and humor -- quite the combination. Are you taking the astronaut's ghost with you when you visit the states?

Have fun in the Colonies. Roland

Stephanie Fey said...

I'm so lucky that my favourite people are still me on this - and that I capture a few new ones from time to time. The tale of the dead astronaut is such a small literary net, but I'm pleased with the fish it catches.

Steph x